Kapalbhati is a yoga technique. It can be done to remove toxins from the body. Some yoga teachers also called it “shat kriya” meaning body cleaning activity.
According to Ayurveda, Kapha is the cause of many diseases. With the help of Kapalbhati, we can eliminate extra Kapha from the body. Kapha is known as phlegm in English.
Kapalbhati is a Sanskrit word- In Sanskrit “Kapal means skull and Bhati means shine”.
Information on Kapalbhati is available everywhere but small doubts remain as it is after a search. When to do Kapalbhati after eating? and so on…
Worry not. Here we are about to discuss in detail When to do Kapalbhati after eating, what are the Benefits, who can do Kapalbhati, and who shouldn’t do Kapalbhati, etc.
Table of Contents
When to do Kapalbhati after eating
Can Kapalbhati be done after food?
Kapalbhati can not be done immediately after eating food, Kapalbhati can do after 3-4 hours of eating.
In the Kapalbhati yoga technique, we are using our abdominal muscle contractions to exhale breath. So we must have an empty stomach to do Kapalbhati.
To pass food from the stomach to the small intestine it takes 6-8 hours. But it is advised to do Kapalbhati after 3-4 hours of eating food, 15 minutes after drinking water, and 45 minutes after drinking any fruit juice, tea, or coffee.
What is the best time to do Kapalbhati?
Kapalbhati can be done early in the morning after emptying the bowel. It is believed that when your stomach and intestine are filled with food then the energy is used to digest the food. While your intestine is empty then the energy is concentrated in Kapalbhati pranayam.
Kapalbhati is a pranayama in which the respiratory and digestive systems actively get involved. Other systems are also involved secondarily like the cardiovascular, and nervous systems.
Kapalbhati is a yoga technique in which we do inhale deeply and then forceful contract abdominal muscles to exhalation the air followed by
Kapalbhati benefits every you will get from social
Is it good to do Kapalbhati at night?
Yes, you can. Kapalbhati can be done at night provided a gap of 3-4 hours between the last meal and Kapalbhati.
When should we avoid Kapalbhati?
If you are suffering from hypertension, heart disease, hernia, epilepsy, migraine, vertigo, a history of stroke, have undergone recent abdominal surgery, and have severe spinal backache then you should avoid Kapalbhati. Also, pregnant women can avoid Kapalbhati.
How many times Kapalbhati should be done to reduce belly fat?
To reduce belly fat you must do 200-300 strokes of Kapalbhati pranayam.
How to do Kapalbhati?
To do Kapalbhati Pranayama you must sit with an erect spine, with closed eyes, And shoulders and facial muscles relaxed.
Atmosphere: You must sit in a quiet environment.
Step 1: Position: You can sit in any asana of yoga-like Vajrasana or Sukhasana.
Step 2: Breathing: Take normal deep breaths followed by exhaling slowly, repeat this 5-10 times. Then we are prepared to do Kapalbhati Pranayama.
Step 3: Now, Take a normal breath then Exhale forcefully using the contraction of abdominal muscles.
Repeat the process many times to get more benefits.
You can also watch the video to learn how to do Kapalbhati:
Common mistakes to avoid while doing Kapalbhati
Mistake 1: Don’t squeeze your face. Many peoples squeeze their faces to exhale and inhale breath. This may cause wrinkles on your face.
Mistake 2: Don’t sit like slouching down. While performing Kapalbhati you must sit on an erect spine. Right posture is the most important part of Kapalbhati.
Mistake 3: Don’t move your shoulders while performing breathing in and out. Shoulders must be still and relaxed.
11 Benefits of kapalhati pranayama
- Shining skin and shining face: Kapalbhati makes you sweat, opening the pores of the skin and removing toxins. After performing Kapalbhati kriya’s face is likely to glow and shine the skin.
- Beneficial in sleep disorders: Kapalbhati is very helpful to cure sleep disorders naturally. If mental discomfort or anxiety bothers your mind and body that results in sleep disorders. With the help of Kapalbhati pranayama, you can feel relaxed and destressed and you will get sleep naturally.
- Dark circles: Kapalbhati relaxes eyes and which results in the removal of dark circles around the eyes and helps in premature aging.
- Beneficial in digestive disorders: Kapalbhati pranayam can help in digestion and digestive disorders. In this kriya digestive system get stimulated and increases the movements of the intestine which is very helpful in digestion. May help in constipation and abdominal gas-related complaints.
- Helps in hurt burn and acidity: Kapalbhati improvise digestion and by that, we can get rid of hurt burn and acidity-like digestive disorders.
- Luns capacity increases: Kapalbhati is beneficial to enhance the capacity of the lungs and makes the lungs stronger. Kapalbhati may help with colds, breathing difficulties, and allergic conditions.
- Helpful in Diabetes: While doing Kapalbhati pranayam we exhale the breath by forceful contractions of abdominal muscle this activity is believed that stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin. Insulin is most important to regulate blood sugar levels. so, in type 2 diabetes Kapalbhati may help.
- Beneficial in weight loss: Kapalbhati is very useful for obese. It is useful in weight reduction. Kapalbhati stimulates the organs of the body that normalized the hormones and metabolic activity of the body. With the increased basal metabolic rate we can achieve weight loss and also reduce belly fat.
- Benefits of Kapalbhati in mental health: Kapalbhati helps to relax the mental state of the body. Also helps with mood swings and anxiety-related problems. Also, we may get rid of depression in some cases after the regular activity of Kapalbhati.
- Increase Concentration: By regularly doing Kapalbbhati pranayama, we may improve our concentration and enhance memory power.
- Hair Loss and premature greying of hair: We may get the benefits of Kapalbhati in hair loss and premature greying of hair.
Also Read: when to do surya namaskar
Side Effects Of Kapalbhati
- You may cause a hernia after practicing Kapalbhati Pranayam. Hernia may result from increased pressure on the abdomen while doing Kapalbhati.
- Hypertension: Blood pressure may increase after Kapalbhati pranayama.
- Nausea: When Kapalbhati is not done on an empty stomach you may feel nausea.
- You may experience extreme dryness in the mouth or more salivation while doing Kapalbhati.
- In some people, headache and dizziness may see while performing Kapalbhati kriyas.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
How long after eating can I do pranayama?
3-4 hours after eating pranayama can be done.
Can Kapalbhati be done after food?
No. To do Kapalbhati your stomach should be empty. so, It is advised to do Kapalbhati 3-4 hours after food.
Can I drink water before Kapalbhati?
No. It is not advised to drink water and immediately do Kapalbhati. Kapalbhati can be done after 15 minutes of drinking water.
How many times Kapalbhati should be done in a day?
The number may be changed from person to person. But it is advised to do Kapalbhati 200-300 strokes in a day to get the best results.
How many calories does 500 Kapalbhati burn?
By doing Kapalbhati for an hour you can burn up to 30-35Kcal.
What is the best time to do Kapalbhati?
The best time to do Kapalbhati is early in the morning after emptying the bowel. When your stomach and intestine are filled with food then the energy is used to digest the food. While your intestine is empty then the energy is concentrated in Kapalbhati pranayam.
Does Kapalbhati increase Bood Pressure?
It is found that after doing Kapalbhati systolic and diastolic blood pressure increases more than before doing Kapalbhati.
When to do Kapalbhati after eating- in this article maximum doubts are getting cleared. All the information is shared in the article. If you are happy with the information please share it with friends.
This blog is about When to do Kapalbhati after eating. Content is all about generic information only. Diet may change as per your health and your medical conditions. If you are planning to add the above information to your diet then I would like to recommend you consult your dietician or medical professional.